Monday, April 6, 2009

Crab update

When your soon-to-be 10 year old, hermit crab expert of a son pleads with you to put the molting crab in an isolation tank, LISTEN to him.

It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of our dear hermit crab, Ariel, who later became Acrobat after discovering “she” was a “he”. Thorin, the “quiet” crab decided to attack while she was most vulnerable. He flipped the shell over and tore her legs off.

I really do feel bad about the whole situation. Benjamin took such good care of them and managed to keep them alive for a whole year. He had been patiently waiting for the molting process to begin and it finally did. Unfortunately, I didn’t listen. I didn’t read the web page that explained the importance of the iso tank. Benjamin repeatedly asked me to read the page on molting but I didn’t make time for it. After it was too late I did read it and very clearly in large, bold letters it said, “A NOTE ABOUT CANNIBALISM:” It went on to explain how hermit crabs find the smell of freshly-shed exoskeleton irresistible.

Nope, I won’t be getting mother of the year this year.

However….. in an attempt to make it up to Benjamin we went out and purchased three, yes three, more hermit crabs.


Allow me to introduce you to Hermie, Fluffy, Crabby and Thorin.

Thorin is now residing inside Ariel's old shell. Yes, that's right, he killed her and then immediately took over her shell. Watch out, new crabs!

No comments: