Thursday, August 13, 2009

2009 ~ The Year of the Mohawk

I never thought I would see my son with a mohawk.

I definitely never even considered ever seeing my husband with a mohawk.

And I certainly didn't think I would be the one to take the clippers to their heads to create such works of art! Steve says people look at you differently when you have a mohawk... especially when you're pushing 40 and sportin' a mohawk! Ahhh, fun times, fun times.

People look at you differently when you follow Jesus too. They wonder what makes you do the things you do, say the things you say, live the way you live. Perhaps they may even ask what makes you tick. Perhaps you will have the courage to answer truthfully about the Savior who paid the ultimate price so that you could live eternally and know a peace, joy and love like no other.

Or, maybe they don't even know you are a Christian. I'm reminded of a quote I heard a long time ago. Unfortunately I do not remember who said it. "If you were accused of being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?" Sadly, for me, there are many days that I would NOT be convicted. I've conformed to the ways of this world, given in to temptations and don't walk the walk.

As Christians we are called to live differently than the rest of the world. Romans 12:2 says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."

Here's the same verse from Eugene Peterson's, The Message: "Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you."

So, here we are, Benjamin and Steve, living on the EDGE and going to the EXTREME for Jesus!

"You're my prince of peace and I will live my life for you!"
(the last line of You Are Holy, MWS)

No comments: