Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fill 'er up!

I long for quiet and crave solitude.

Maybe that's why I stay up too late, too often. There's a stillness in my house that you will not likely find during daylight hours.

Don't get me wrong. I love my kids and the sounds of their laughter, singing, silliness and playing. I have come to realize I truly love the craziness of this season of my life - the never-ending laundry, the always present toys on the floor, the clutter on every horizontal surface, the homeschooling books and papers and projects, oh and did you know they expect to be fed THREE times a day???? We won't even discuss the sports, play dates, practices, parties and all the other activities that require a chauffeur - a logistical nightmare to be sure!

Susanna Wesley, a mom of 19 kids (beat that, Duggars!), would pull up her hoop skirt over her head to find a moment to pray. One of her sons, John Wesley, was the founder of the Methodist Church and another son, Charles Wesley, was a great hymn writer. I wonder if she homeschooled? At any rate, she certainly understood the need to pull up to the spiritual filling station so she had the love, patience and energy to serve her family.

When we spend time with God, we fill up until we are overflowing and that overflow is what enables us to love and serve others.

However, before we fill up we need to empty ourselves of all the gunk and yuck that has been building up. The other day I heard a new song on the radio by Chris Sligh called Empty Me. He was on American Idol a few years back. I liked him then and I like him even more now. In the song he talks about emptying ourselves of selfishness, pride and foolish things so that we can be filled with Jesus.

I long for quiet and crave solitude.

I want to hear Jesus speak to me in those quiet moments. I want to put His word in my heart and spend time in sweet communion with the One who created me. I want to pull up to the spiritual filling station, empty myself of me and then overflow with Jesus' love on to my family and those around me.

I long for quiet and crave solitude.

1 comment:

Machelle said...

Sometimes even when it is quiet, the "me" in my head still is too loud! Love this post!