Thursday, January 29, 2009

Things are gonna change around here...

As I was pushing my HUGE BJs shopping cart, overflowing with lots of gluten-filled food, Steve called to tell me that the doctor just called and confirmed that Rachel does indeed have Celiac Disease. Wow. We were kind of expecting it but I was still in shock. My sweet little girl can no longer have anything that contains wheat, rye or barley. The part that really gets me is that this is for the rest of her life! She will certainly face many challenges.

On one of the websites I was looking at, it said 97% of people with Celiac Disease are undiagnosed. It will take an average of four years to diagnose them once they start showing symptoms. (It only took us a year and a half.) A child with Celiac Disease will see 8 pediatricians before they are diagnosed! At least we didn't have to go through that many doctors!

We're trying to look at this as a good opportunity to learn a lot about nutrition and make some changes that benefit our whole family. Like it or not, things are gonna change around here!

Don't worry, Benjamin, we'll still have Meatloaf Mondays (just no garlic bread).

No comments: